The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Halifax County churches hit by thieves during Sunday services

The Halifax County Sheriff’s Office is investigating several larcenies at places of worship throughout the county.

Fiber-to-the-home gains toehold in county

Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative has completed the initial stage of fiber-to-the-home internet service in Halifax County with the deployment of roughly 5.5 miles of fiber optic cable in the Clays Mill…

Halifax trustees tap members to work with supervisors on facilities plan


Sports

Comets’ season ends

Fall to GW in regional opener

Community


Opinion


A&E

News

Halifax > Halifax Government

Wood-fired plant up for DEQ review

The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality has scheduled a Nov. 22 public hearing on a long-dormant wood-burning power plant that backers intend to build on the outskirts of South Boston.

Funding unlikely for portable stage

Supervisors earlier asked USDA Rural Development for a grant to cover the estimated $200,000 cost of the project. Rural Development earlier indicated it might fund up to 55 percent of the total cost. Supervisors then decided to seek the remaining 45 percent from the Virginia Tobacco Commission.

Library gains use of county van for bookmobile visits

Library directors on Tuesday afternoon got the good news that Halifax County has a van that it is willing to provide to the library for its exclusive use. “This is just great news,” said board chairman Lisa Crews, noting that the board has been agonizing over the lack of a vehicle to transport books to shut-ins and those unable to get into one of the local libraries.

Residents briefed on Banister Shores waterline project

Eleven property owners participated in an informational meeting Thursday held by the Halifax County Service Authority (HCSA) to discuss the Banister Shores Waterline Project. Gary McCollum of Draper-Aden reviewed the project prior to taking questions from the participants.

Halifax County IDA lends a hand on bonds

The Halifax County Industrial Development Authority on Friday morning approved the issuance of $140 million in revenue bonds for Virginia Electric and Power Company (Dominion Virginia Power). The approval came after an advertised public hearing during which no one commented on the request.

Halifax County clears hurdle on funds

The Virginia Tobacco Commission yesterday gave a preliminary thumbs-up to $4.17 million in funding requests by several Halifax County agencies and the Mid-Atlantic Broadband Cooperative.

$1,300 bonuses eyed for teachers

Part-time school staff would get $650 under proposal for using federal stimulus grant

• Page 153 of 163 pages « First  <  151 152 153 154 155 >  Last »


Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.