South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
08/28/14 - 5:54 am
South Boston Town Council on Monday night paid tribute to 100 year old Raymond Shelton
08/28/14 - 5:53 am
08/28/14 - 5:53 am
08/29/14 - 9:17 pm
A quick, athletic Jefferson Forest squad proved too potent offensively for the Halifax County High School varsity football squad Friday night, speeding past the Comets, 50-30, in South Boston.
- More A&E
Questions from a taxpayer
SoVaNow.com / October 18, 2012Dear Viewpoint:
As a Halifax County resident and taxpayer, I am bothered by the school administration and School Board’s lack of public response to recent issues and questions. Therefore, I am asking for public responses to the following questions:
1. Much discussion and information has surrounded the recent LORP termination decision. I would like a simple yes or no answer from each School Board member, the Superintendent, and the Director of Finance to the following question: With what you know now, did the LORP program save the Halifax School System money?
2. What was the reason(s) LORP was terminated?
3. Terminating LORP supposedly saved $1.4 million. Where did that money go?
4. $360,000 was allocated to rehire the school LAN managers that wasn’t included in the budget. Where did that money come from?
5. There was a $1.1 million “unanticipated expense” in increased healthcare insurance costs that was given as part of the rartionale for the termination of LORP. Later it was said that the administration “found” $900,000+ to cover that expense. Where and how was it “found?” Where was that money originally included in the budget? Where did the other $200,000 for the insurance come from?
6. Is there anything being done to determine if there are there other unallocated monies in the budget or school system to be “found?”
7. It appears that the budget is being largely ignored. Certainly many of the expenditures are not in line with it. What are both the school administration’s and the School Board’s responsibilities with regards to operating within the approved budget?
I’m looking forward to your responses. Thank you.
David P. Strom