South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
08/28/14 - 6:00 am
Halifax makes the grade half of the time with passing rates, but dropoffs outnumber gains
08/28/14 - 5:59 am
Case dismissed after Wilborn contested firing
08/28/14 - 5:57 am
Halifax County’s unemployment rate jumped from 8.3 percent in June to 8.8 percent in July. Over 900 people left the labor force, which numbered 15,974 in June, but fell to…
08/29/14 - 9:17 pm
A quick, athletic Jefferson Forest squad proved too potent offensively for the Halifax County High School varsity football squad Friday night, speeding past the Comets, 50-30, in South Boston.
- More A&E
Boys tennis shuts out Martinsville
SoVaNow.com / March 27, 2014The Halifax County High School boys’ tennis swept to a shutout win against Martinsville Monday.
“This was the most solid we have looked all year, whether it be practice or matches. I think we were able to gain some confidence Friday with pulling out all four tiebreaks, and it carried over into today. There was no letdown from beginning to end in any of the matches. Today we looked a lot better in the second sets of our matches than we did in the previous match,” coach David Riddle said.
“Another positive is we were able to get different people into matches today. Donyea and Joseph were in their first ever ladder match for us, and looked very comfortable out there. It’s always good to get the guys on the court in situations that matter, especially early in the year,” Riddle said.
HCHS is 2-0 in the Piedmont district and 2-0 overall.
1. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Carson Rigney 6-2, 6-0
2. Roger Smith (HC) d. Tyler Hairston 6-1, 6-2
3. Andrew Hatcher (HC) d. Joe Mitchell 6-1, 6-0
4. Terrence Vass (HC) d. Cody Turner 6-0, 6-0
5. Malik Pleasant (HC) d. Jacob Salas 6-0, 6-1
6. Brian Good (HC) d. Ahmad Manns 6-0, 6-0
1. Thomas/Smith (HC) d. Rigney/Hairston 6-1, 6-1
2. Brad Booth/Lewis Link (HC) d. Mitchell/Turner 6-3, 6-2
3. Donyea Williams/Joseph Coleman d. Salas/Manns 6-1, 6-4
News & Record