South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
03/30/15 - 6:58 am
03/30/15 - 6:56 am
03/30/15 - 6:55 am
03/30/15 - 7:23 am
- More A&E
Comet tennis picks up scrimmage win
SoVaNow.com / March 04, 2013Breaking out for spring, the HCHS boys tennis team sailed to an 8-1 win over Person County in a spring scrimmage Thursday.
“Considering the fact that we have had only four days of outside practice due to weather, I was very pleased with overall effort today. Of course you are always pleased with the shutouts as a coach, but in the close matches we were able to play strong and pull it out as well. Vatsal was down 6-3 at one point in singles, and came back to take the match in a tiebreak. And both of the doubles matches that were played were heavily contested as well,” said coach David Riddle.
“It was good to get all of the returning players on the court today. That group has been with me for awhile now, and all of them will be counted on as the season progresses. They are all playing hard as we are working on the ladder, and as I told them no spot is safe on the team as long as they are playing each other hard in challenges. That will make us better as a team,” said Riddle.
“Even though the newcomers were not able to get matches in today against Person, they were able to work on their ladder spots during doubles matches today as well. That group is working hard and gaining valuable time on the court,” said Riddle.
1. John Ornitto d. Gannon Griffin (HC) 8-2;
2. Vatsal Lal (HC) d. Brandon Chambers (HC) 9-8 (10-6)
3. Michael Good (HC) d. Hunter Phelps 8-0;
4. Roger Smith (HC) d. Cody Carver 8-0;
5. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Andrew Cothran 8-0;
6. Forrest Nunn (HC) won by forfeit.
1. Griffin/Lal (HC) d. Ornitto/Chambers 8-6;
2. Andrew Hatcher/Brad Booth (HC) d. Phelps/Carver 8-4;
3. Thomas/Nunn (HC) won by forfeit.
Nunn (HC) d. Cothran 8-0.
News & Record