South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
09/29/14 - 6:37 am
TMI Auto Tech, exclusive North American manufacturer of the Ariel Atom vehicle, has been awarded an $838,000 grant from the Virginia Tobacco Commission to develop a new sports car, the…
09/29/14 - 6:35 am
The Southern Piedmont Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) and the Halifax County High School guidance department will sponsor a College Awareness Night on Tuesday, Sept. 30, at 6:30 p.m., at the…
09/29/14 - 6:35 am
09/29/14 - 7:05 am
- More A&E
Comet tennis takes Heritage Invitational
SoVaNow.com / April 29, 2013The Halifax County High School boys tennis team is celebrating a first place finish in the Heritage Invitational Saturday.
The Comets finished first with 23 points, second, Randolph Henry with 19, Staunton River and Heritage tied for third with six points.
“I can’t say enough about how well the team played this weekend. We came out and won eight of our nine matches on Friday, and were very close to a win in the one loss,” wrote coach David Riddle.
“In the past, we have typically had a good day one, and then stumbled a little on the second. That was not the case this year. We came back and won seven of nine on Saturday, and the two losses there were close as well,” said Riddle.
“Last year we were in the lead middle of the way through Saturday when the event got rained out, so I think they guys felt they had a little bit to prove this year. They came out strong Saturday and there was no letdown whatsoever. As a team, we played some of our smartest tennis of the year,” said Riddle.
1. Vatsal Lal (3rd place)-lost to RH 10-11 (4-7), def Her 10-4
2. Jonathan Thomas (1st)- def Her 10-2, def RH 10-4
3. Michael Good (1st) - def RH 10-3, def SR 10-2
4. Roger Smith (1st) - def SR 10-0, def RH 10-5
5. Forrest Nunn (2nd) - def Her 10-2, lost to SR 7-10
6. Andrew Hatcher (1st) - def SR 10-0, def RH 10-3
1. Lal/Thomas (1st) -def RH 10-4, def SR 10-4
2. Good/Smith (1st) -def SR 10-3, def RH 10-3
3. Nunn/Hatcher (2nd) -def Her 10-4, lost to Her 8-10
In earlier actin, the Comets got the key breaks in a Wednesday win over Franklin County.
The Comets won, 5-4.
1. Colby Arrington d. Vatsal Lal (HC) 6-0, 6-4
2. Chris Teeple d. Gannon Griffin (HC) 6-3, 5-7, (10-7)
3. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Hunter Amos 6-4, 4-6, (10-8)
4. Michael Good (HC) d. Boston Burke 6-3, 4-6, (10-8)
5. Forrest Nunn (HC) d. Josh Schuck 6-4, 6-3
6. Andrew Hatcher (HC) d. Travis Knott 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), (10-7)
1. Arrington/Amos d. Lal/Griffin (HC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Teeple/Burke d. Thomas/Good (HC) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Hatcher/Roger Smith (HC) 6-4, 3-6, (10-4)
Terrence Vass (HC) d. Joe Crandle 8-3
Johnny Hughes/Pearson Verhaven d. Brad Booth/Gabe Pool (HC) 6-3, 6-3
Terrence Vass/Ezra Walker (HC) d. Marc Remirez/Joe Crandle 6-0, 6-1
News & Record