The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search

Halifax Council to hear from Lineburg, consider bamboo growth

Halifax County jobless rate dips to 4.3 percent

Rock n’ Read returns to library


Season ends for Comets

Fall 60-19 to North Stafford





Comets fail to build on GW win momentum / December 21, 2017
Halifax County High School failed in its attempt to build on last week’s momentum from a one-point Piedmont District boys basketball win over George Washington-Danville by falling to league foe Franklin County, 61-60, at Samuel M. Hawkins-Central Gymnasium.

The Comets (1-1 Piedmont) suffered their second straight loss.

Nathan Brooks swished the first of two free throws with the Eagles in the double bonus with 15.2 seconds left to give FCHS the point that settled the issue.

The Comets did get one final possession and one final shot that was off the mark.

The Eagles grabbed the game’s final rebound and celebrated their triumph.

Brooks’ free-throw was the result of his steal near midcourt. He was fouled as he attempted to convert a break-away lay-up.

With the win, Franklin (2-1 Piedmont, 4-2) broke a two-game losing streak, one in which both setbacks came at home, including a seven-point defeat to Piedmont foe Bassett.

Halifax appeared to have victory in hand with 2:04 left after Otis Slayton scored to give the Comets a six-point, 60-54, lead.

But that baskets proved to be Halifax’s final points as the Eagles finished the game with a 7-0 run.

Franklin rallied by converting 5 of 7 free throws and converting an offensive rebound into its lone deuce of the waning minutes.

Halifax was out of time outs after calling its final one with 31.3 seconds left.

The Comets never reached the 1-and-1 free-throw bonus as the Eagles committed only five fouls after intermission.

The Eagles, who trailed from the latter part of the second stanza until squaring the count during their game-deciding rally, began their final surge when Chandler Taylor and Jalon Twine combined to make four free throws.

Trailing 60-58, Taylor failed to convert a game-tying shot, but post player Matius Hodnett caught the rebound and in one motion, he dunked it to the delight of Franklin’s student section.

Hodnett’s basket equaled the count at 60 with 51 seconds showing and set the stage for the closing seconds.

Taylor finished with a game-best 30 points. Earlier this season, he netted a career-best 31 points in a non-district loss to Hidden Valley.

Twine tallied 17 points.

Also, Hodnett netted six points, Brooks finished with three and Glenn Parris tallied five.

Da-shon Louden led Halifax with 17 points and Michael Spraggins added 13.

Six other players scored for the Comets.

Franklin was within a point, 41-40, with 7:43 left, but Halifax responded with a 6-2 surge that was fueled by points from Louden, Jamal Brandon and Spraggins.

The Eagles pulled to within two twice (47-45 and 49-47) courtesy of five points by Taylor; first on a three-point play, then on two free throws.

But Halifax would net four straight points – two by Terrell Carden and two when Spraggins converted an offensive rebound – to move in front by six, 53-47.

A Twine 3-point was trumped by two Halifax baskets – one by Louden, the other by Spraggins – as the Comets moved in front 57-50 with 3:28 to go.

Franklin got two free throws from Twine and a basket by Hodnett, but Halifax came away with three points on a Louden free throw and Slayton’s deuce to produce its 60-54 lead.

Halifax led by five points on three occasions in the first quarter and was ahead 20-15 in the second period when the Eagles rallied to square the count after a Hodnett basket and a 3-pointer by Parris.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.