The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search

Beadles indicted in slaying

Man accused of threatening to set female victim on fire

Halifax Town Council reviews parking issues downtown with courthouse work


Abbott ready for second year at U.Va.





Comets humbled in opener against Glass

South Boston News / September 04, 2017
E.C. Glass delivered a tough blow Thursday night to Halifax County’s hopes of a positive start to the varsity football campaign.

The Hilltoppers, now 2-0, roared to a 42-0 lead by halftime in South Boston and cruised to a 42-20 win.

The Comets stay at home Friday against Person County Friday night.

Glass quarterback Matt MacCullum threw for two scores and ran for one.

Glass also had a blocked punt and a touchdown return on an early Halifax special teams breakdown. The Hilltoppers also had an interception return for a touchdown.

To their credit, the Comets did not quit and managed three scores in the final period.

Glass won the turnover battle, always a major key. Glass fumbled three times and lost two.

Halifax had two fumbles and lost one. The Comets also had two interceptions.

Halifax had penalty issues on its first drive, and trouble surfaced with a special teams breakdown.

Halifax had a punt blocked after an errant snap, and Glass converted on a 25-yard touchdown with 9:18 left in the first period.

Comet quarterback Ryan Moore was picked off - forcing a pass into coverage - and Glass made it 13-0 with 6:08 left in the first period. Halifax had a blocked PAT by freshman Tucker Tucker Harris.

Glass later added a 25-yard touchdown with 2:49 left in the first period after the Comets stalled.

Glass led 20-0 with the first quarter winding down.

Moore was picked off again with 50 seconds left in the first quarter. That set up a 15-yard touchdown pass for Glass with 11:20 left in the second quarter.

After the successful PAT, Glass led 27-0.

Glass held again and the Hilltoppers later converted on a 25-yard touchdown pass with 11:20 left in the second period. Glass led 35-0.

Glass had a turnover with 2:36 left before halftime. But Halifax had a very short punt and Glass capped the first half with a ten-yard scoring run. Glass scored with 31 seconds left before halftime.

Following the successful PAT, Glass led, 42-0 at intermission.

Halifax refused to quit.

The Comets had three fourth quarter scores.

Moore connected with Travis Chappell for good yardage, and Halifax capped its first scoring drive of the season on a 12-yard scamper up the middle by C.J. Woods.

That score came with 10:30 left in the game.

Halifax special teams produced a big play later. Skykeim Venable blocked a Glass punt and HCHS recovered on the Glass two.

Moore scored on a two-yard run with eight minutes left. Ben Harris added his second PAT, and Halifax trailed, 42-14.

Glass fumbled, and Halifax converted on a 35-yard Moore to Chappell touchdown pass. The PAT failed, and Halifax trailed, 42-20.

That was the extent of the scoring.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.