South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
10/18/14 - 5:14 am
10/16/14 - 6:02 am
County native opts to switch duties as Emory RN, bringing him face-to-face with victims of outbreak
10/16/14 - 6:00 am
Town of Halifax expects to push back due date for personal property payments; South Boston struggles to stick to schedule
10/20/14 - 7:23 am
Frank Coleman Starnes, the most successful high school varsity football coach in Comet history, passed away Wednesday
- More A&E
Comets pick up momentum with quality tennis win
SoVaNow.com / April 24, 2014Halifax County boys’ tennis picked up some momentum with a quality win over GW-Danville in Piedmont District action Monday.
“It was good to come out as a team and play as strong as we did today, especially having not played a match in a week due to spring break. There was a little rust out there, but overall it was a solid team effort. Some of the guys that had lost a match or two before break were able to rebound with big wins. GW as a team was much more experienced than they had been the past could of years, and they came to play today. Coach Rojas has done a great job of working with them and has had a great deal of success coaching them in the past,” said coach David Riddle.
“The team needed this. We had dropped our last couple of matches and looked much better out there today. We have a big week remaining so hopefully this will continue,” said Riddle.
The Comets are 5-3 and 5-1 in the Piedmont District.
1. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Christian Blankenship 6-4, 7-5
2. Gunnar Rojas d. Andrew Hatcher (HC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Roger Smith (HC) d. John Moss 6-0, 6-0
4. Terrence Vass (HC) d. Marcus McCoy 6-4, 6-0
5. Colin Meadors d. Malik Pleasant (HC) 6-0, 4-6, (10-6)
6. Brian Good (HC) d. Cameron Worsham 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
1. Thomas/Hatcher (HC) d. Blankenship/Rojas 5-7, 6-0, (10-8)
2. Smith/Vass (HC) d. Moss/Worsham 6-1, 6-2
3. Pleasant/Good (HC) d. Meadors/Darian James 6-2, 6-3
Brad Booth/Donyea William (HC) d. Thomas Fortney/Owen O’Hare 8-3
News & Record