South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
03/27/17 - 7:33 am
03/27/17 - 7:31 am
03/27/17 - 7:30 am
03/27/17 - 8:14 am
- More A&E
Comets shut out GW in tennis
SoVaNow.com / March 25, 2013The Halifax County High School boys tennis team improved to 4-0 on the season - and 1-0 in the Western Valley district with a shutout win over a GW-Danville.
Comet coach David Riddle saw a number of positives from this win.
“It was great to come out with a win in the first district match. This was also the first time that we had not played pro sets on the season, and we did well with playing the longer matches. Add to that the fact that we were without Michael Good and had to do some shifting in singles and doubles, yet the guys still played as strong as they have all season. That says a lot about the effort that these guys have put in at practice this season,” said Riddle.
“Another positive out of today was the fact that in 6 of the 9 matches we were down at some point in at least one of the sets. In those situations in the past we have often hit the panic button and folded. Everyone kept their composure today and battled back to take the lead. That says a lot about how much this group as grown in both the physical and mental part of the game,” Riddle said.
1. Vatsal Lal (HC) d. Christian Blankenship 6-3, 6-0
2. Gannon Griffin (HC) d. Gunnar Rojas 6-1, 6-0
3. Jonathan Thomas (HC) d. Marcus McCoy 6-0, 6-1
4. Roger Smith (HC) d. Junaid Khan 6-0, 6-0
5. Andrew Hatcher (HC) d. Mike Yancey 6-2, 6-2
6. Forrest Nunn (HC) d. Merlin Mei 6-1, 6-4
1. Lal/Griffin (HC) d. Blankenship/Rojas 6-2, 6-3
2. Smith/Thomas (HC) d. McCoy/Khan 6-1, 6-0
3. Terence Vass/Brad Booth (HC) d. D.J. James/J.R. Roberts 6-0, 6-3
Gabe Pool (HC) d. Shavazz Payne 6-0, 6-0
Yancey/Mei d. Ezra Walker/Malik Plesant (HC) 8-5
News & Record