The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search

Phoenix, school calendars and more

Trustees meet to discuss new school logo, AP reinstatement, 2020 dates

Simmering dispute in South Hill draws notice

Lawyers, business leaders and town citizens ramp up Council meeting attendance



Elation, then disappointment for PV girls

Lady Dragons make Class 3 state tourney, bow out in first round





Dragon boys soccer falls in semifinals / May 29, 2019
The Park View boys soccer team, playing in the VHSL Region A Tournament, dominated the Phantoms of Phoebus High School on Wednesday.

The Dragons handled the Tidewater-area team 11-0 at Bunny’s Field to advance to the second round of play. In the second round on Friday, the Dragons ran up against a soccer juggernaut in the York Falcons and could only manage one goal as they were eliminated from regional competition, 5-1.

On Wednesday, Phoebus traveled to South Hill to face the Dragons on the pitch at Bunny’s Field. The Phantoms, sporting a misleading 4-13 record, were looking for an upset to advance to the tourney semifinals. Phoebus is the only 3A school in the Peninsula District, and as such, their 4-13 record against bigger high schools may not have been indicative of their abilities.

The Dragons jumped out to an early lead when senior midfielder Jaydon Turner took a pass from Jacob Fadool and scored in the fifth minute. In the 10th minute Junior Chance Melton took a pass from Kevon Goins to score the second goal of the match.

The offense continued to accumulate for the Dragons as Turner scored his second goal unassisted in the 11th minute, and in the 15th minute sophomore Justin Zincone found the net with another unassisted goal. Turner completed his hat trick in the 18th minute of play followed by Melton’s second goal on a pass from J. Fadool. Mere seconds later Eli Fadool fed a pass to Adam Crabel who booted one in for the 7th goal of the half.

Next up, it was Crabel’s turn to get the assist feeding a crossing pass to Melton for his hat trick goal. The half ended with Park View firmly in command, 8-0.

The second half was a continuation of the first. Within seconds after play resumed, E. Fadool took a pass from his brother J. Fadool and scored Park View’s ninth goal. Senior Jaykuan Brandon booted one in after receiving the pass from Zincone and the score was 10-0. There is an eight-goal mercy rule in VHSL soccer play but that is suspended for the playoffs so the teams played on. Jaleal Davis, senior forward, got into the act scoring the 11th and final goal for PV as the Phoebus coach threw in the towel.

Dragons’ season ends with loss 
to talented York squad

After an easy victory on Wednesday, the Dragons ran into a buzz saw in the semifinal game. The York Falcons came to Bunny’s Field and handed the Dragons just their second loss of the season, but it was a devastating, season-ending defeat. The Dragons, playing against a brisk wind in the first half, put up a credible effort in holding York to a pair of goals despite the fact that the ball was in the Dragon end most of the time. PV sophomore keeper Hagen Vaughn made several key stops and in one instance literally laid out horizontally to the ground to punch a sure shot away and avoid the goal.

Finally, Falcon forward Josh Yi slipped one past Vaughn for the first York goal late in the first half. Then with the half winding down, the Falcons were given a penalty kick and Cameron Dunbar scored for the Falcons and the half ended with Park View trailing 2-0.

Adam Crabel scored the first (and only) PV goal on a penalty kick in the fifth minute of the second half and the Dragons had to feel like they had a chance. The wind, against them in the first, was now to their backs and they knew they were still in the game. The Falcon coaching staff, recognizing the danger of allowing the Dragons to hang around, knew they needed to apply the pressure and not allow the tying goal.

The Dragons played hard but York scored another goal from as D. Lightner found the net making it 3-1. Then the Falcons opened it up and one could tell that they were feeling the win. They scored two more goals, with the final score coming on a penalty kick from Alec Jackson. York’s coach subbed in the rest of his players and the game ended 5-1 with York advancing to the tournament final.

Dragon head coach Trudy Gentry stated, “Yes I’m a little disappointed. I’ve seen us play better,” but she added, “I’m sure that they [York] feel fortunate to get out of here with a victory.

“We didn’t back down and we played hard right to the end of the game,” said Gentry. “We just made too many mistakes and they were able to capitalize. York is a very good team.”

As the loss ends the Dragons season, York will move on to face the Tabb Tigers in the final.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.