The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search

Virginia Tourism, Halifax hold open house for downtown ideas

Squad hails achievements, but warns of trouble

Rescue work hampered by volunteer, paid staff shortage

Hite to lead elementary programming


HCHS softball wins region contest over PH-Roanoke





Dragons stay busy – and successful – against Tri-Rivers District opponents

South Boston News
Martavious Hendricks drives the post for a lay-up during the PV victory over the Bulldogs in Lawrenceville Saturday evening. / January 30, 2019
With the season winding down, the Park View Dragons completed a rugged four-day stretch last week with three crucial wins against Tri-Rivers District rivals.

On Wednesday, the boys varsity basketball team faced a tough Brunswick Bulldog squad before a packed house at Park View High School and handed the Bulldogs their worst loss of the season to date, 67-46. Next up for the Dragons was an overmatched Windsor team that never knew what hit them as Park View broke out to a 13-0 lead en route to a 71-23 drubbing Friday night at PVHS.

On Saturday, the Dragons traveled to Lawrenceville to face the Bulldogs for a make-up game on their home court. This was definitely not a repeat of the Wednesday night affair as the Bulldogs played a much better basketball game, but the Dragons pulled away late to take the victory, 69-58.

Saturday’s game at Brunswick High School was by far the best of the three as far as competition goes.

The contest was a “game of runs,” as described afterwards by Dragon head coach Danny Watkins. The game was evenly matched until the 4:37 mark of the first period when Park View went on a 6-2 run to take the lead 15-9 by the 2:28 mark. The Bulldogs then scored four unanswered points to cut the lead to two as the buzzer sounded ending the first. J. Boyd led the Dragon scorers in the first quarter with 5 points, followed by TJ House with 4 and L. House, M. Hendricks and D. Miles with 2 apiece.

By the end of the second frame the Bulldogs had the lead, thanks to a storm of three pointers. R. Walker and J. Miller nailed a pair of treys each and accounted for all but two of the points for the Bulldogs to give them the lead. Park View fared well themselves as D. Miles (6), D. Bugg (5), J. Boyd (3) and TJ House (2) kept the game close, and the two teams went to the locker rooms at halftime with Park View trailing 33-31.

The intensity increased after the half and Park View opened the third stanza with a 6-0 run to take back the lead. The Bulldog crowd was beginning to grow restless and at the 5:50 mark, Park View’s D. Miles took an offensive rebound back up with authority for a two-handed slam that temporarily quieted the Bulldog crowd.

The quiet was short-lived, however, as just nine seconds later R. Walker dropped a timely trey for Brunswick to get his team back into it. At the 4:55 mark, Park View’s TJ House hit a two-pointer to tie it at 39-39 and that started a flurry of scoring for the Dragons.

Park View would push the lead out to as many as nine points. But the Bulldogs had some fight left in them and after two buckets in a row from J. Firman, Brunswick trailed by only six beginning the final frame, with the score 53-47 in favor of Park View.

The Dragon defense stiffened in the fourth and their offense continued to put up points. The Bulldogs could only manage 11 points, compared to 16 for the Dragons. The Bulldogs opened the scoring in the fourth as Firman would get two from the charity stripe before the rim turned cold for the Bulldogs.

The Dragons would get six quick points in just over a minute before the Bulldogs would finally get another free throw at the 5:48 mark. At 5:33 the Bulldogs made a defensive mistake, allowing D. Bugg to get an easy two-point layup for Park View. One could almost feel the wind falling out of the Bulldogs sails.

The Dragons pressed their advantage and put together a scoring run that ended any chance the Bulldogs had of saving the win. With 48 seconds left on the clock and the Dragons leading 69-58, a scuffle broke out in the stands requiring the attention of the Brunswick County Sheriff’s deputies. The melee was quickly brought under control, but the damage was done and the coaches decided to end the game there, leaving Park View the victors, 69-58.

Park View 79, Windsor 28

Just the night before (Friday) the Dragons faced off against a badly overmatched Windsor Dukes team and dispatched them with relative ease. The Dragons opened strong, jumping out to a 13-0 lead before the Dukes finally got points on the board at the 3:15 mark of the first period.

After a few times up and down the floor without any scoring, Dragon center/forward D. Miles got behind the Windsor defense for a spectacular one-handed monster slam dunk that electrified the crowd. The Dragons continued to score pretty much at will and the stanza closed with the Dukes trailing the Dragons 23-6.

The carnage continued into the second as the Dragons outscored the Dukes 27-7. At the 5:17 mark, on a fast break, House was driving into the lane and expertly hit L. Joyner with a behind-the-back pass for an easy bucket. Park View continued to drop points on the Dukes and as the buzzer sounded for the half Park View led 50-13.

The second half was pretty much a repeat of the first and the Dragons cruised to an easy victory, winning going away, 79-28.

Park View 67, Brunswick 46

The Dragons received a visit from their arch rivals, the Brunswick Bulldogs, on Wednesday evening at PVHS. Up to this point of the season, the Bulldogs had lost five games by a combined total of 16 points or just slightly more than three points per loss. This included a heartbreaking 62-61 defeat to the Greensville County Eagles just a few days prior. The Dragon coaching staff and players had to think the Bulldogs were going to put them to the test.

The first period was nearly a draw with Park View eking out a slim two-point advantage, 17 to 15. The Bulldogs scored first with a quick deuce by big Travon Callis. Next, D. Bugg dropped a couple of free throws through for the Dragons to tie it up. The two teams continued their back and forth battle with neither gaining much of an advantage in the frame.

The Dragons would put the pedal to the metal in the second period, burning the Bulldogs for 24 points while the stingy Dragon defense would only allow nine points by Brunswick. The highlight of the period — perhaps of the game — came at the 3:40 mark when Dragon guard Josh Boyd hit teammate Kion Gilliam with a perfect pass on a fast break that actually went between a defender’s legs for an easy lay-up. Another bright moment for the Dragons featured Jaison Dugger soundly rejecting a shot from Bulldog big man T. Callis.

The Dragons kept the offensive pressure on and as a result the Bulldogs got a little sloppy defensively and sent Park View players to the charity stripe to shoot 10 free throw attempts in the last two and a half minutes. The Dragons would sink seven of those tries and take a commanding 41-24 lead to the locker room.

The third quarter opened with TJ House hitting a quick deuce at the 7:50 mark to extend the Park View lead to 19. The Bulldogs had a quick answer as J. Miller hit a two-pointer just 20 seconds later. At 3:55, a deuce by Brunswick’s D. Brodnax would cut the lead to 15, prompting Dragon head coach Danny Watkins to call a time out to settle his troops before any more damage was done.

It proved to be a smart move as the homestanding Dragons would quickly push the lead back out to 18 on a trey from M. Hendricks at the 2:10 mark. J. Wesson hit a triple for Brunswick to cut the lead back to 17, 55-38 with less than two minutes to play in the third. At 1:07, Demetrious Bugg took an offensive rebound aggressively back to the hoop to give the Dragons a solid lead to start the fourth at 57-38.

The final frame commenced with J. Boyd hitting for two-pointer for Park View at the 7:36 mark and then another deuce exactly one minute later. At this point the Dragons were leading by 23 and had to feel like they had the game in hand. It appeared that Coach Watkins did take his foot off the gas a little and as a result the Dragons scored just 10 points in the period, but it was more than enough as the Bulldogs could muster only eight points and the homestanding Dragons got a well-earned victory. The 21-point defeat was by far the worst the Bulldogs have experienced this season.

With the three straight wins the Dragons improved to 12-5, 10-3 Tri-Rivers District.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.