The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search

Dems turn to Cockburn in 5th

In Halifax, an ideal day to celebrate the Earth

Halifax hosts hearing on amended town budget


Comets improve to 10-3 with sweep of GW

Harlow throws one-hitter in 6-0 win Thursday





Dragons still Kings of the County – barely

South Boston News
The Dragons celebrate after their close victory Friday over Bluestone. / September 04, 2013
“Long live the King” was all that could be said after the exciting game that Park View and Bluestone provided for their respective fans at Friday night’s King of the County football game in Skipwith.

On a night with as many twists and turns as a suspense thriller, Park View used an onside kick with under three minutes left in regulation to seal a six-point victory over Bluestone and retain the coveted King of the County trophy.

Park View has dominated the series since 2003 and though the Dragons took the win on Friday night, Bluestone earned the respect of the opposition and more importantly, Baron alumni that had all but given up on the program three years ago.

Baron Stadium was packed with hundreds of football fans. And many people there said they hadn’t seen a similar level of attendance at Bluestone for a KOTC game in over 10 years.

Park View opened the scoring on its first possession but it wasn’t long before the Barons were answering the call.

After the first quarter, Park View led 14-6. Bluestone rallied to take a 22-20 lead, and after the third quarter it was 30-20, Bluestone. That set up a Dragon rally in the fourth quarter and the 42-36 Park View victory.

After the game, Dragon Head Coach Kelvin Hutcheson and his coaching staff were as exuberant as the PV players and fans.

“You didn’t give up,” Hutcheson said. “And that is the mark of a true champion.

“I know you guys feel like I work you too hard sometimes, but this is what I mean about being able to finish the game — to finish the fourth quarter,” he told his players.

Baron Head Coach Waverly Jackson was visibly emotional afterwards, as were his players, but as they got in line to shake hands with the Dragons, Jackson said this:

“Hold your heads up guys. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You played a great game and I respect you for that. It was a great game.”

First Quarter, 14-6

Bluestone received the kickoff and after working their way to their 40-yard line, the Barons were looking at a fourth and one. They decided to go for it but PV stopped them and took over possession.

Park View soon was facing fourth and one and they too decided to go for it. PV QB Brent Cliborne came through for the first down. After some great running by Matt Brown and Leroy Allen, Park View was first and goal from the five.

A penalty on Bluestone took it to the one and at the 5:40 mark, Allen was punching it into the end zone. The point after attempt by Jacob Newton was good and PV was up 7-0.

Bluestone received the ball and following a personal foul against the Dragons, Bluestone started at the PV 35. Moving the ball to the 29, Bluestone faced a second and six. A loss by QB Trey Watson made for a third and seven situation.

On the ensuing play, Deion Mosley took the handoff and straight-up forced his way to the end zone – dragging several PV players with him. The extra point attempt was no good and the score was 7-6 at the 4:11 mark in the first quarter.

PV was undaunted and responded in kind. Brown returned the kickoff 17 yards to the Dragon 32. Two losses by Allen and Cliborne made it third and 15.

On the next play Cliborne took to the air and found wideout NooNoo Patterson, who sprinted away from the Baron secondary for the TD. The PAT was good and PV led 14-6 with 2:38 left in the first.

Bluestone’s Keith Patrick received the kickoff and ran it back for what appeared to be a TD, but a block in the back negated the score. Bluestone remained focused as they started from PV’s 34.

A pass to Donovan Mosley got another first down at the 24. After a loss of one, Deion Mosley moved the ball to the 22. Runs by Josh Briggs and Watson moved the ball to eight.

Second Quarter

With 11:54 left in the second, Carnell Richardson punched the ball in for the TD. Richardson then ran for the two and evened the score at 14-14.

PV’s next possession died out after a holding call and they punted.

Bluestone started at PV’s 13 but ran into troubles of their own and soon found themselves back at the 20. Watson then went to the air and found Damian Winbush on a crossing route. Winbush turned on the burners and scored. Deion Mosley provided the two and Bluestone led 22-14.

The Dragons took the kickoff and started at the 37 after a 22-yard return by Patterson. Nigel Stanley then picked up two first downs in a row, for a first and 10 at the Bluestone 30.

Soon facing fourth and six, PV went for the field goal but it was wide right.

Bluestone punted on its next possession and Park View used the opportunity to tighten up the score before halftime.

Starting at their 35, it took PV only four plays to find the end zone and this was as they were facing a first and 10 at the Barons’ 35. Brown got the call and went around the right corner for the TD. The PAT was no good and the teams retired at halftime with Bluestone leading 22-20.

Third Quarter

Bluestone scored in the third at the 7:27 mark. Deion Mosley returned the kickoff to the PV 40 but a penalty moved the ball back to Bluestone’s 40. Briggs advanced the ball for a second and three but another penalty had the Barons at third and long.

Deion Mosley took the handoff and went on a 42 yard ramble for the TD. Watson scored the two extra and Bluestone was up 30-20.

Fourth Quarter

Entering the fourth, Park View had possession and was moving the ball, but a pass attempt by Cliborne was picked off by Patrick and returned to the PV 13.

Two plays later Deion Mosley was in the end zone and Bluestone was looking at a commanding 36-20 lead with 10:55 left in the game — or so they thought.

PV got busy and within a matter of seconds Brown ran for the TD and the extra two for the 36-28 score.

Bluestone got the ball back with 10:27 left in the game. The Barons held the ball for almost five minutes but were unable to score.

Park View got the ball back and it wasn’t long before Brown and Allen got the ball in the red zone. Allen went on to score the TD with under three minutes left in the game. The two-point play was stopped by Bluestone and the Barons led 36-34.

On the ensuing kickoff, PV attempted an onside kick. As the ball was kicked, it appeared to touch the kicker before it went the required 10 yards, but it was ruled a live ball and Newton recovered his own effort at the 49.

With 1:10 left in the game, Brown made the TD and the two-point attempt for the 42-36 PV lead.

Bluestone got the kickoff and started at its 20. Some nice runs by Watson got the ball to PV’s 35. But Park View broke up the Hail-Mary pass to Winbush in the corner of the end zone with no time left on the clock.

The game was the season opener for both teams.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.