The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Protest event planned in wake of Floyd killing

Motorcycle rider airlifted from scene of Liberty crash

A gruff figure, fondly recalled

T.C. ‘Tommy’ Leggett, retail titan, opened his wallet and heart to his hometown

Sports

Mecklenburg County sports leagues prepare to resume play


Community


Opinion


A&E

Sports

South Boston Speedway shuts office for two weeks

SoVaNow.com / March 25, 2020


South Boston Speedway announced Monday it will close its offices for at least two weeks, in addition to previously postponing all currently scheduled racing events until further notice.

SBS General Manager Cathy Rice said the office closing is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Rice said the decision comes at the advice of health experts and directives by local, state and national governments for avoiding crowds.

The full SBS release:

“TO SOUTH BOSTON SPEEDWAY COMPETITORS AND FANS … The coronavirus outbreak has thrown our nation into situations and uncertain times it has never faced before. As a result, we have to rely on the advice of experts, follow the mandates of national, state, and local officials, and take actions we feel are appropriate to protect the health and wellbeing of our staff, competitors, fans, and the community.

“For this reason, we are closing the South Boston Speedway office for the next two weeks.

“It is our hope that the coronavirus pandemic will soon slow down, that our country can start moving back to a state of normalcy, and we can move forward with our 2020 season.

“We ask that everyone keep things in a proper perspective and use commonsense through these uncertain times.”

Rice said the track will provide more information once SBS returns to a more normal routine.





The Donte App, coming soon to iOS and Android