The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search

South Boston fire station gets finishing touch: new sign

Vaccine clinic for teens offered Wednesday

South Boston council emails hacked


Comets take down Blacksburg to advance in regions

HCHS to host winner of Pulaski/E.C. Glass game Tuesday





Four killed in head-on crash Friday

South Boston News
Jessy James Green Hawk was convicted in 2016 of driving on a suspended license, third or more offense, and was due in court this week to face a subsequent charge. / May 26, 2021
The driver who police say was doing 90 mph in a no-passing lane seconds before his vehicle slammed head-on into another car Friday afternoon — leaving four people dead outside of Chase City — had been due in court this week to answer charges of driving on a revoked license and other violations.

The operators of both vehicles involved died at the scene of the Friday afternoon crash, on two-lane Route 47 a short distance north of Scotts Crossroads near Chase City. A female passenger in the speeding vehicle also died at the scene.

A third person in the speeding car, a 10-year-old male passenger and student at La Crosse Elementary School, succumbed to his injuries the next day at VCU Medical Center in Richmond.

Jessy James Green Hawk, 38, of Chase City, was driving a 2003 Toyota Corolla at speeds estimated at around 90 mph as he was passing other traffic in a no-passing lane on Route 47, confirmed Virginia State Police spokesperson Corinne Geller. The Toyota that Hawk was operating plowed into a southbound 2012 Chevrolet Impala, driven by 88-year-old Glynn Lewis Carter Whitten of Chase City.

Whitten, who died at the scene, was the only person involved in the crash who was wearing a seat belt, according to Geller.

Along with the operators of the two vehicles, the death toll includes the two passengers in the Toyota — Tiffany L. Morris, 37, of South Hill, and the 10-year-old boy whose identity was not divulged by police.

At 2:47 p.m. Friday, Virginia State Police Senior Trooper J.J. Kempo responded to the crash scene, which took place in a 55 mph zone of the two-lane roadway.

Court records indicate that Hawk was scheduled to appear in Mecklenburg County General District Court on Tuesday, to face prior and unrelated charges of driving under a suspended or revoked license. Hawk was also charged with operating an unlicensed or unregistered vehicle on public roads, and reckless operation for driving more than 20 mph over the posted speed limit.

Other online court records point to a long history of traffic offenses by the deceased. In 2016, Hawk was convicted in Halifax County General District Court of driving on a suspended license, third or subsequent offense. He was ordered to serve one month of a 12-month jail term, with the remaining time suspended.

More recently, Hawk was on probation in Mecklenburg County after pleading guilty in October 2020 to a charge of shoplifting. On Oct. 2, 2020, he was sentenced to serve 10 years with all but six months suspended, and placed on one-year supervised probation upon release. He was also on probation in Washington County after pleading guilty to a drug possession charge in August 2020. His unsupervised probation on that charge would have ended in August.

Whitten, who was the mother of Brenda Carter Durden, Carol Carter Thomas and Mecklenburg County Administrator H. Wayne Carter III, was buried at a graveside service at Woodland Cemetery in Chase City on Monday.

Private services were held for Morris on Monday. No details have been forthcoming about services for Hawk or the unnamed juvenile.

Tell-a-Friend | Submit a Comment


Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.